сряда, февруари 04, 2009

According to Lyotard, the postmodern condition is a state of 'incredulity towards metanarratives.' All Grand Stories are rejected by default since postmodernity does not believe in any absolute truths or explanations. We can see this attitude everywhere - from TV and adds to institutions and universities. Right now, I am writing a dissertation on "Lessons for mission to postmoderns Grom John's Gospel, with a special reference to John 4:1-42." What is interesting is that even people in Christian academic circles are influenced by this kind of thinking. Whenever I try to express an absolute statement in my dissertation I am critiqued as being 'too sweeping' in my statements. It's ironic that people who think along postmodern lines have to supervise a dissertation on postmodernity. On the other hand, I agree that nobody could claim total access to all the absolute truth of God. This would be omniscience, and only God has that. Wisdom and discernment seem to be critical for all of us.