петък, февруари 03, 2012

I wish I didn't work so hard



This was one of the 5 top regrets people have when they are faced with their own mortality. This is what Bronnie Ware, an Australian palliative care worker, heard from her patients in the last weeks of her life. It can be read in her blog, http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html. She even wrote a book entitled "The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing".

It's funny that last week, while teaching the church youth group, I said that I had often succumbed the temptation of workoholism and been challenged by my wife on the topic. And, this warning comes again in the right time, when I feel like doing nothing (semester hasn't yet begun!). Anyway, what are all the 5 regrets, according to Bronnie's research:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

You can read more on the link above. After you're done, leave the laptop aside and call a friend or just go chat with your family. That's exactly what I am going to do now.